A Freelancer’s Guide to
Who can work on Upwork?
We welcome all independent professionals and agencies to join the Upwork community. Whether you’re a graphic designer from the U.S., web designer from Serbia or writer from Brazil, you’ll find freelance opportunities on Upwork. Depending on your business needs, we invite you to register and work in one of two ways:
Individual freelancers For self-employed individuals and small companies that have a specific skill set and are looking to work on their own.
Agencies For companies and freelancers that have subcontractors or employees who plan to tackle projects together on Upwork.
How does Upwork make money?
Service fees Upwork charges a 10% service fee for each payment we process, which is generally paid by the freelancer. For example, if you agree to perform a project for $200, you’ll receive $180, and Upwork will receive $20. Because of this, many freelancers choose to add a small mark-up to their bids to account for this business expense (for instance, charging $222, so that they will receive a flat $200). This fee allows us to create the latest technology and services, from matching you with ideal clients to collaborating, communicating, getting paid and payment protection. Bid This is what the client sees $ 222.00 You’ll earn 200.00 Upwork receives 10% of the amount charged to the client. ? ?
Welcome Membership plans All freelancers and agencies subscribe to a free or paid Upwork membership plan. Our Freelancer Basic membership is free of charge and provides all the functionality you’ll need to use Upwork for your business. For those who want additional premium benefits, we offer a paid Freelancer Plus membership option. We also offer a Plus membership plan for agencies.
Join Upwork in four steps:
Sign up and select a membership plan If you haven’t signed up yet, now’s the time. Pick the membership plan that best matches your needs. Remember, you can change your membership plan in the future.
Create your profile Fill out as many fields as possible to create a profile that highlights your skills — elaborating on your experience and indicating your desired hourly payment rate.
Set up your payment option Get ready to get paid, and tell us how you want to receive your earnings. We recommend setting up two different fund transfer methods, so that you can be paid easily.
Use Upwork Messages Collaboration is made easy on Upwork when you use Messages. Organize and manage discussions, communicate in real time with your clients, and sync and share deliverables.
TIPS & TRICKS:
* Make sure that each cover letter you send on Upwork , is personalize and specific, to each job, that you are applying for.
* Never copy and paste your cover letters contents, as every project is different, and needs, to be tailored, to it’s own requirements.
* Never Provide Email ID / Skype ID or any other Contact Info (This is Against Upwork Policy)
* Keep your cover letter short in length; four short paragraphs, are more than enough to get your message across.
* Avoid boring them to death with an essay, this will turn them off, from hiring you.
* Every single line in your Upwork cover letter should be written in a way, that will provide the employer an incentive to hire you.
* Show a high level of enthusiasm that you are accessible, prepared, and ready, to start working with them.